At ProSettings.net, we take pride in the fact that we’re always updating our player pages and our website in general. We often get asked what exactly our process is and how often we update our content, so we’ll answer some frequently asked questions in order to give you a complete overview of how we work to keep ProSettings.net updated.
How Do You Update Player Pages?
Our player pages are extremely popular (exactly how popular obviously also depends on the popularity of the player) so we try to ensure that they are updated as frequently as possible. We have different ways of obtaining our information:
- Direct contact with the player
- We often get PMs on Reddit, Discord, or other avenues from players themselves informing us of updates. In case this is a player we haven’t personally been in contact with before, we politely ask the player to provide proof that they are who they say that they are.
- Social media posts
- We follow players on their social media. Some players like to make posts about any (new) gear they’re using, and sometimes it’s possible to see the gear that they’re currently using in the background of an otherwise non-gear related post.
- Twitch/streaming websites
- Players who are dedicated streamers often have chat bots that list their gear, settings, and so on, or players might list this in their channel description. This can be a valuable source of information, but it should be noted that some players don’t always update these, so we don’t take it as gospel.
- Tournament footage
- At LAN tournaments, it is easy to see what a player is actually using to compete. This does not ring true for monitors and headsets though, since those are provided by the tournament organizers in almost all cases.
- Our community
- Last, but certainly not least, is the most important aspect of our website: our community. We get hundreds of comments each month informing us of updates. Our users often surprise us with their detective skills, and we couldn’t do any of this without our dedicated community. Commenting does not require making an account or anything like that so if you see anything that’s outdated, please feel free to let us know.
How Up-To-Date Is ProSettings.net?
This is a difficult question to answer because it depends on a number of circumstances. Massively popular players who stream every day will often be updated multiple times a day, whereas players who aren’t active on social media and pretty much only appear at LAN tournaments will naturally be updated less often. We try to be as accurate and updated as possible, but sometimes we are limited by these aforementioned factors.
Some players are also very consistent with their gear and settings, and as such only get updated once every so often simply because there isn’t anything to update for a certain time.
What About Sponsors?
Gaming is an absolutely massive market, and as such it’s absolutely the case that brands are trying their hardest to get popular players to use their gear. There is no way to tell whether or not a player is using a certain piece of gear due to sponsorship reasons, but we do make sure to list what the players are actually using when playing the game. We’ve had cases where players list that they’re using mouse X in their Twitch description while using mouse Y during tournaments, and we will always list mouse Y in such cases.
It can also be handy to know that players are almost always able to choose their own mice, mousepads, and monitors. There are tons of teams in our list who are sponsored by a certain brand while all of their players are using mice from different brands, for example. It makes sense too: sponsors don’t want players to perform worse and miss out on tournaments and events, leading to less exposure for the brands.
Keyboards and headsets are a bit more prone to ‘sponsor interference’ but even there players are often given free reign to use what they want to actually compete with. You can read more about the subject here.
Please Add Player X / Can You Add Player X?
We try to add all relevant players, but sometimes there just isn’t enough information out there. We always try our very best to get the info of players that we want to add if it’s not readily available (by PM’ing them, mailing their management, …) but sometimes we just don’t get any response. This is unfortunate, but we choose quality over quantity in those cases.
How Do You Decide Who To Add / Can You Add Me?
There isn’t an official checklist or anything like that, but generally a player has to either be part of a team that’s competing in the higher tiers of a game’s professional scene and/or a player has to have a large following on social media, with a focus on competitive gameplay. This is decided on a case-by-case basis.
How Are Your Player Lists And Guides Updated?
The player lists and guides are updated automatically. Once a change goes live on a player page, the list entry along with all other relevant fields (usage charts, …) get updated with it.